10 May 2010

irony and the trashcan.


strangers in uniform., originally uploaded by Luna Soledad.
I LOVE this photograph. Love, love, love it.

I loved it when I snapped it in Charleston on the corner of King Street... and I couldn't believe my luck when this working-class fellow strolled into this crisp-looking group of naval cadets with a trashcan at just the precise moment.

This picture tells a story... many stories in fact, depending with whose eyes it is read. --I'd dare say it is even poetry... and it gnaws at me to write something great as I stare at these strangers and their foreign lives.

This photo depicts one of life's many ironies:

It doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, what you do, what you believe, or what you have because every single one of us have had, and will have, our days...

Some days we're in uniform and some days we're pushing the trashcan.

"At the bottom no one in life can help anyone else in life; this one experiences over and over in every conflict and every perplexity: that one is alone. That isn't as bad as it may first appear; and again it is the best thing in life that each should have everything in himself; his fate, his future, his whole expanse and world."

-
Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment