23 March 2010

sunset in blue.


sunset in blue., originally uploaded by Luna Soledad.

Over 1,500 miles, more than 24 hours in the car, three beds across three states, and getting trapped in the Tennessee mountains... and the adventure can be summed up with this one photograph...

"I am taught the poorness of our invention, the ugliness of towns and palaces. Art and luxury have early learned that they must work as enhancement and sequel to this original beauty. I am over instructed for my return. Henceforth I shall be hard to please. I cannot go back to toys. I am grown expensive and sophisticated. I can no longer live without elegance: but a countryman shall be my master of revels. He who knows the most, he who knows what sweets and virtues are in the ground, the waters, the plants, the heavens, and how to come at these enchantments, is the rich and royal man. Only as far as the masters of the world have called in nature to their aid, can they reach the height of magnificence."

...Ralph Waldo Emerson,
Essays Nature, 1850

No comments:

Post a Comment