23 April 2010

surprises.


Originally uploaded by Luna Soledad
So yesterday was a pretty rotten day, as indicated in my previous post. Not overwhelmingly bad rotten; oh I've certainly had worse bad days. But Thursday was well, indescribably busy, constant, stressful, and non-stop. Thursday was like a hellcat that bolted out of nowhere attacking without pause until 5:30.

I was mentally and physically exhausted and would have liked nothing more than to go home, strip, and crawl right into bed and die. Alas that is never an option so instead I went home and found upon my doorstep a most pleasant surprise...

A medium-sized package from my dear west-coast friend, Alvin, and a smaller-size package from Amazon (via Alvin). Well, like anyone else, I love getting mail that doesn't include a nasty statement telling me I owe money, be it a letter or package. --But a package, well, that's some real excitement, especially if the contents are unknown.

Years ago, when I lived in Germany, people used to send me stuff from time to time... my mother would frequently send me various knick-knacks and strangely, canned goods (which she got for free even though it cost my father 50 bucks to mail it for which I could have bought twice the amount at the commissary?) and occasionally there were packages at Christmas from friends and family, or presents for baby Isabel... and then there were the boxes from my way-back first kindergarten friend, Felicia, which I think meant the most of all. --Felicia sent me a box of her maternity clothes when I was pregnant; she sent me the latest Dorito flavors when they came out; she even had her mother drive her around the area where we grew up with a video camera so I could see all the changes that had happened since I left... it was these such little random surprises that made my soul smile. --Being stationed overseas, there was just nothing better than finding a notice in your mailbox to say you had a package waiting from "home."

Immediately my day got a little bit better as I grabbed the scissors and made for the boxes... The big one first of course, and what should I find inside but Alvin's previously-loved, black Domke camera bag! ...along with our traditional book and card. (The small box held a Domke shoulder pad for the strap.)

In retrospect, I know I should have been suspicious when he made that odd comment about eBay Domke knock-offs.

In his letter, he dares to say that he hopes I don't find it tacky that he sent a used bag... For real? Are you kidding me? That's the absolute best part! That my friend would care enough about me to send me something that he loved and had used in the art which he loves is what makes such a gift most special! Priceless.

Of course, I'm sentimental like that.

So thank you mucho Alvin. You're the bomb-diggety!
And I will continue the bag's great legacy, with love...

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life:

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,
"Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied,
"The one you feed."

...Cherokee Indian Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment