25 August 2010

1st day of school.


1st day of school., Originally uploaded by Luna Soledad
Early this morning, at 0:OMG-thirty, I sent my little 12 year old princess off to her first day of Middle School on the big yellow school bus...

Bella was both happy and excited to be going back to school and make new friends. How I wish it was as easy for her as it is for Liam...

My head is swimming in memories of how far we've come, how hard we've fought to get here, how much my little girl has grown - and thoughts of Special Education, middle school, middle schoolers, school assignments, Special Transportation, WCPSS, administrative politics, advocacy, lame-ass administrators, and people who just don't "get it." --I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised this year despite the flashbacks, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

We've been very fortunate over the years with some amazingly wonderful teachers, therapists, support staff, and most administrators but we have fought a good fight. It's what we special parents do. --I think we've lucked up and got another good teacher this year, though the rest remains to be seen.

The fish rots from the head down.

It's too early in the morning to write more than that without coffee. =)

"The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson."

...Tom Bodett

No comments:

Post a Comment